The best questions are open, invite exploration, and inspire a positive, appreciative perspective of a situation. They help us tap into our wisdom, expand our understanding and, best of all, place us in the emotion of Curiosity. Whether you are working on a plan, facilitating a meeting, coaching an associate or client, or supporting a friend, good questions will facilitate a better conversation.
Below I share some of my favorite provocative, positive questions to help you explore the year ahead. Pick just one or several, and make space in your life to sit with the question(s) for awhile. I promise that a written response to ANY of these will shift you to a different space for 2011.
Awesome Questions to Consider for 2011
Questions to answer one time
- What do I value?
- What do I want to learn this year?
- What promises will I make to myself?
- What does my “wise self” say to start doing a bit more of each day?
- What am I aware of, right now?
- What do I want, right now?
- How do I stop myself from having that, right now?
- Why is that important to me? (ask this five times, e.g. “and why is THAT important… etc)
- What is missing for me, that I will take care of this year?
- What do I already know, that I’m not using?
- What assumptions am I making about this situation (or person)?
- and What would happen if I dropped those assumptions?
- What must I be doing more often to be comfortable that I am growing?
- Where might I ask for help/support?
- What is missing for me?
- and the companion, What will I do about that in the next year?
- What is a small step I could take – to which I could commit 100%?
Questions to answer 100 times
(write one of these at the top of a page, and keep writing till you’ve answered it at least 100 times. Prepare to be surprised at what you learn when you get past the predictable and really start pushing yourself!)
- Who am I?
- What do I do?
- What do I offer the world?
- What brings me Joy?
- What makes me laugh?
- What am I putting up with in my work or life (that I’m no longer willing to tolerate)?
- What do I believe to be true?
- What is my passion?
- What am I grateful for? (What are the blessings in my life?)
- What have I accomplished in my life?
- and the flip side, What will I accomplish in my life?
(these you can revisit over and again and the answers will continue to shift)
- What do I want to be in the world?
- What sort of leader am I becoming? (or parent, or person, or…)
- What is my invitation to others?
- Now that <this> has happened, what else is possible for me?
- What will I die for in order to keep alive the things that matter?
What is YOUR most awesome question, the question that really rocks your world and makes you think? Click here to send me your favorite.
The 13 Principles of Happiness are really about asking yourself a series of questions, like, “How am I living my Values?” “How might I build my Reserves?” and “To What am I Paying Attention?” Visit https://theexecutivehappinesscoach.com/happiness/philosophies.cfm, to download a colorful 1-page PDF Poster. Post it on your workplace wall or your fridge at home, and use it to coach yourself and others to Choose Happiness.